For a blog, there’s one thing as important as delivering quality content to your audience. It’s gaining blog comments.
Blog comments help increase your popularity and pave the way to meaningful relationships with the readers. They also help gain more traffic and backlinks and improve your overall search engine optimization (SEO).
But with a large number of blogs out there, it can be challenging to successfully stand out and increase audience engagement through comments.
To solve this issue, this article will cover eight questions you should ask yourself to attract more blogging comments.
1. Is My Website Ready?
The first thing to ask is if your website is ready to start receiving comments.
Before proceeding, check your site’s performance. A fully-functioning website helps maintain the interest of an audience, leading to increased engagement and the desire to leave comments.
You can start by checking your page load speed, examining your site’s navigation, and analyzing the comment system itself. For example, if you’re using WordPress, you need to enable comments on either all posts or certain pages.
Additionally, perform extensive site testing and check if it’s compatible with all modern browsers and devices.
2. Is the Content Valuable?
Valuable content fosters engagement because it provides something new and interesting for the readers. It also increases the credibility of a blog, encouraging readers to leave comments.
The key to creating valuable content is to balance these elements:
- Audience knowledge. Target the right audience and understand their needs. Be audience-centric in your blogging efforts.
- Trustworthiness. Share your expertise to build credibility. Your audience will appreciate and trust your content more if you provide original insight.
- Usefulness. Make the content easy to understand. This will provide a positive experience to your readers. To stay relevant, research new trends and use pertinent keywords.
3. Do I Encourage Commenting?
Your blog posts need to encourage readers to comment. Inspire readers to react by motivating them psychologically and properly employing your blog’s technical elements.
Use these motivation tactics to encourage commenting:
- Include a question at the end of the blog post.
- Ask readers to contribute. Do this on a numbered list post by asking the readers to provide additional entries.
Here’s what you can do with your blog’s technical elements to increase reader engagement:
- Use the right calls-to-action (CTAs). Create urgency and place your CTA at the proper spot.
- Feature the comment section at the end of the post.
- Employ a simple commenting system. For example, you can allow readers to leave comments without having to sign in or create an account.
4. Am I Responding to Comments?
Responding to comments helps maintain your blog’s reputation and encourages more people to comment on your posts. This way, you’ll also appear more genuine as a blogger, making it easier for people to enjoy your blog.
However, merely replying to comments isn’t enough. Keep the following tips in mind:
- Reply promptly. Monitor your comment activity and reply as fast as possible. This will make the readers feel appreciated and keep the conversation going.
- Check your spelling. Your reply quality matters because it represents your professionalism and helps with ranking on search engines.
- Keep your branding consistent. Be aware of the words, tone of voice, and grammar you use. Make sure they’re consistent with your branding.
5. Do People Connect With My Content?
It’s crucial for your content to elicit an emotional response in your readers. This way, your audience will feel a connection and you’ll be able to encourage them to take action, including commenting.
To do so, write about relevant blog topics. Then, improve your blog’s structure and headings. Using hyphens or colons in headings helps gain 9% higher click-through rates.
In addition, try out various types of media to help illustrate your story. For example, improve your visuals or add video content to build an emotional connection with your readership.
6. Are My Blog Posts Easy to Read?
Make your blog posts easy to read by focusing on their accessibility and readability. This way, readers will understand your blog a lot easier, boosting its engagement.
To increase your blog’s accessibility, include alt text, adjust device and browser compatibility, use headers, and apply the right colors. If you’re using a website builder, use a responsive theme to ensure your blog posts always display correctly.
As for the blog’s readability, write in the active voice, use simple fonts, prioritize shorter paragraphs, and employ white space.
7. Am I Providing Enough Information?
Your blog posts need to be informative to trigger interest. This way, readers will also be able to learn something new from your posts.
To provide enough information, start by understanding and focusing on fulfilling search intent. For example, you may want to try writing tutorial blog posts that answer informational search queries.
Research the topic and analyze how your competitors handle it. Offer a new angle or extra information to make your post stand out. Readers are more likely to leave comments on engaging posts that answer their inquiries.
8. Do I Share My Posts on Social Media?
Posting on social media platforms is an effective way to promote blogs, with 97% of bloggers doing it. It’s a free way to gain traffic and exposure.
If you’re running a personal blog, make sure that your social media profiles align with its branding. Apply the same design elements or, at the very least, target the same audience.
How you should share your blog posts will depend on the social media platform you’re on. On Instagram, you can include a link to your blog in your bio. You can also create an Instagram post or story, featuring the link in the description.
On Twitter, write tweets and create a thread highlighting the main points of your post. Make sure your tweet is insightful, shareable, and tells a story to your followers.
Blog comments are as important as blog content – they contribute to your authority, credibility, and improve your site’s SEO. Gaining blog comments helps increase the quality of your blog and improves your relationship with the readers.
This article has covered eight questions you should answer to start getting comments. Here’s a recap:
- Is my website ready?
- Is the content valuable?
- Do I encourage commenting?
- Am I responding to comments?
- Do people connect with my content?
- Are my blog posts easy to read?
- Am I providing enough information?
- Do I share the posts on social media?
Ask yourself these questions and take appropriate action. You’ll gain plenty of comments in no time. Good luck!